Sunday, 16 July 2017

Some aspects of Taoism in Inuit Knowledge

-The key to growth is the introduction of higher dimensions into our consciousness.
-Simulated disorder postulates perfect discipline; simulated fear postulates courage; simulated weakness postulates strength.

In IQ (Inuit Knowledge) the philosophy to learning is experience: we see; we observe; we try our hand; we try again. Having said that, we have our guides and advisors: our parents and those more knowledgeable and experienced than us, people we can trust.

In Jean Brigg's Morality Play, we see that some statements and directions from our loved ones and people we know from forever is not always the "truth", a harmless misdirection or challenge intended to make us think, to attain a higher dimension into our consciousness.

-At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and what you want.
-When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Inuit believe in reincarnation. The elders say that we all die and are reborn in those who are given our names. We retain some characteristics and mannerisms of our namesakes in our next lives but we also have the capacity to evolve. In my youth my mom was always fond of saying that I just acted exactly as my namesake (which I will not divulge). I always took this as I'm not exactly my namesake; I'm undeniably me. I'm not defined by the name(s) that was given to me, but I belong to a greater whole in which I exist.

Actually, Inuit all have more than one name. These are not "nicknames" but rather that we are someone to our family and loved ones and someone else still to those who loved or hated us in our previous lives. Our given names are our honour, our human connection, even if we were born of a different name.

-Nature is not human hearted.
-Do you have the patience to wait until your mud settles and the water is clear?

All things in Nature have their time. We are not in control, are not the final arbiters of Nature. We are subject to, are subjects of Nature. Kangiqtugaapingmiut are not people or residents of the Clyde River area but subjects of that area. All existence and what exists there is possible because of what Nature has to offer. How far its blessings and limitations (its yin and yang, if you will) have carried me in my life. Only in my advancing age and experience have I begin to appreciate that.

-Going back to the first point above (that we learn by experience) my greatest highs and my lowest funks have all been necessary in my education.

Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment