Sunday, 8 July 2012

Why I hate corporatism

Having been a policy analyst for "both" sides (government and Inuit org.s) I've seen the best and worse of the daily "struggles". But corporate "partisanship" sucks on both sides.

I read many years ago a "biography" of the Ayatollah Khomeini. The milieu he was ostensibly raised in is "me against my brother; me and my brother against our father; all of us against the world". Perhaps it's like that in that tribal world, but it is also like that in Canada. East against west; Quebec against Canada; Harper against sane and reasonable political discourse; Governments against aboriginals; us against them (whomever "us" and "them" are, doesn't matter).

Personal values and ideals aside; it is all about corporate interests. It seems to hardly matter, our humanity and souls (our personal integrity and honour). The articles of faith and dogma of corporate this and that are assumed without question; it is a culture of "winners" and "losers", see. People, it seems, are willing to do the ugliest things to other people in the name of the corporation. Perhaps its in our genes. But I don't buy that.

In the corporate world of divide and conquer I've had to admit defeat. It takes too long to explain personal reasons for making a political stand, the ethical/moral thing to do is hard, as compared to the ready-made propaganda and the certainty about questions of right and wrong. To challenge orthodoxy and the corporate line (which is often thinly-veiled racism and parochialism in silk shirts) is to invite isolation and suspicion even from your own who are often given incentives and concessions that look good initially but carry a heavy price because it often means kicking the issue down the line for others to deal with (finite resources, unlimited needs; short-term gains over long-term interests).

I'm not against the idea of an Inuit cultural school, I just saw all that money (tax-payers' money) proposed to be spent on a one-shot deal against the wise use of limited resources to enhance community-based cultural curriculum so all communities could see long-term benefits at a fraction of the cost for a stand-alone.

I doubt I'll ever be allowed to participate in the social and political development of aboriginal communities, especially in Nunavut. I'm a difficult man to get along with; some would say I'm impossible to get along with. I once told a friend of mine that we are all responsible for the demise of Inuktitut and Inuit cultural values because we failed as policy people and frontline deliverers of government and Inuit org. programs, and he threw his drink at me. I was thinking bad faith negotiations that creates these things...

I have since learned to tone down and be more diplomatic and sensitive to others' worldviews. Not drinking helps. But I sometimes dispair knowing my isolation is largely my own fault.

Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment