Thursday, 26 January 2012

"super karate monkey death car" and Harper's Davos speech

I just listened to Harper's speech carried live from Davos, and I couldn't help but be reminded of the sit-com episode of News Radio (episode #57): Super Karate Monkey Death Car. The owner of the radio station, Mr. Jimmy James' autobiography (Jimmy James: Capitalist Lion Tamer) which didn't do well in America turns out to be a hit, a best-seller in Japan. So, he has the book re-translated from Japanese to English to take advantage of the business opportinity.

Much to his chagrin, Mr James realizes that the book's title and the contents have been changed completely: Capitalist Lion Tamer to Macho Business Monkey Wrestler:

"I had the book translated into Japanese then back into English. Macho Business Donkey Wrestler... well, there you go... it's got kind of a ring to it, doesn't it? Anyway, I wanted to read from chapter three.. which is the story of my first rise to financial prominence... I had a small house of brokerage on Wall Street... many days no business come to my hut... my hut... but Jimmy has no fear? A thousand times no. I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey strong bowels were girded with strength like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo... dung. ...Glorious sunset of my heart was fading. Soon the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans... and pants to match. The monkey clown horrible karate round and yummy like cute small baby chick would beat the donkey."

Given that Canada's numbers are just barely better than the rest of the world market economies, the propaganda machine of Harper's government sounds not unlike the re-translation of Jimmy James' fictional book, especially in the Q&A section when the host of the summit, Mr Schwab, asked Harper how Canada's successes could be replicated in other G20 nations. Harper nary mentioned the relatively strong regulatory measures of Canada's financial system that has been our saving grace, but he struggled instead to imply that the "forward-looking" policies his government has initiated are key: with strength like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo... dung.

Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment